Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Day Out...





Sometimes people think that staying home, watching television, eating, and sleeping without care of the hour is the best thing that can ever happen to happen to us. That’s what we strive for when we get home from a long tedious day at work, dealing with traffic, and/or school, is it not?

Well sometimes we get what we ask for, and it always isn’t fun. In Bob and Lili’s case, it is a temporary bitter sweet situation. They are both so grateful that (including me) the ordeal of the transplant is over, however, there is still a long way to full recovery. This duo has been home since Friday (Lili, 8/8/08) and Monday (Bob, 8/11/08) taking advantage of all these coveted pastime activities of uninterrupted rest.

The fun has stop sometime, right? Well these two slow moving, expert napping; resting professionals are now stir crazy! Can you believe it; they got a case of cabin fever! After careful thought and planning, it was decided that we would all go see “Pita” (little Danny Gonzalez, nephew, 10 years old) play football. Pita plays for The Saints for the city of Santa Fe Springs, in Southern California. The team strategized and strived so hard to win, but with no avail, they got creamed (supposedly there is no official score taking at this age, but you know how that goes among spectators). What happened is that the most experienced and older kids from last year have moved a team higher for older kids; leaving the younger and less experienced ones behind.

It was a good game. The day was beautiful, hot day, and cool breezes. Bob got to exercise by trekking across the field (at a tortoise pace), got some sun, and exercised his diaphragm and vocal cords by cheering, coaching on the sideline and yelling for Pita to knock the other kids down! Lili was more demure, she was like a vacationer enjoying the scenery and watching her brother enjoy the game.


By the time the game ended, it was time to each lunch. On our way to go see a movie, we picked up Marina at the Schneebergers’ house. At that time, Bob really needed to use the restroom (hence the diuretics) and could not wait to get to the cinemas. I suggested stopping at Chick-Fil-A since it was closer in the parking lot than the theatre (I did really want to eat there and figured we’d kill to birds with one stone). Bob got off, I parked the car.

We went inside, and man did we get the best customer service ever! Also, there was a chance to give a small testimony of God’s work in our lives, too! When I started ordering, a thought came to mind, “Could I use the coupons from my Entertainment Coupon (
www.entertainment.com) book even though they don’t pertain to this certain location (Imperial Hwy, La Habra, CA)?” The cashier inquired with his manager and verified “positively, yes!” Woo hoo, I was so excited. With my coupons, I got 2 orders of buy one, get one free meals for the four of us. Linda Garrett (the manager) was awesome, real genuine in her work ethic to give exceptional customer service.

After we finished our meals, we thanked her for great customer service. As we did this, she noticed my pendant on my necklace. I was wearing a silver with blue opal Star of David pendant. She cautiously asked me if I was Jewish (it’s interesting; I get this reaction all the time. After all, when was the last time you saw a Mexican-American woman who looks Hawaiian wearing a Star of David necklace?). I told her that I was not, but that I had been to Israel last year with a friend. When I told her this, she was intrigued as to what my experience was like, what was my impression of the people there, the scenery, and so on. As quickly as I gave her my answers, she would ask me more. At one point, I told her about the Old City and the Wailing Wall, that’s when Bob chimed in “Tell her all about it!”

My first reaction was “does she really want to hear it?” I guess Bob must have read my body language and hesitation, and kept insisting that I tell her. So anyway, I told that in July of last year, I got the opportunity to pray at the Wall and inserted my little note, with the prayer to God to heal my husband. I told her that I know that the Wailing Wall is in no way magic, but it was so powerful to be there nonetheless, and pray with my whole heart and soul for this miracle. How quickly I forget, I told her that I hadn’t remembered this event until 2-3 days before the operation. Now here we are, standing before her, our first lunch out in public since the transplant! Bob and I introduced her to Lili who was waiting by the door with Marina.

Linda was so touched by the story that she stopped the next employee walking by her to share our story with him. Of course the young man (employee) was trying to have the same reaction, but couldn’t; though he was very respectful of what was told to him. All he could say was “congratulations.” Linda, still caught up in the emotion and wonderment of this, decided that she had to do something to celebrate, she could not let us go without recognition. She decided to give us all free desserts on the house, and a la mode to boot! Wow!

We were so thankful to her for her unexpected gift. It turns out that she was half Mexican and half Jewish. The Mexican side of her family is Christian and the other half Jewish! She was excited and touched by God’s work in Bob and Lili’s life. We finally left, but not without her giving us lots of hugs individually.

When was the last time you walked into a restaurant and hugged by a manager you just met? God is good; and it was good to share!

Tomorrow we will attempt to go to church. Bob will have to wear a mask whether he likes it or not! Ü
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. One more thing, a special thank you goes out to Ric, Lisa, and Tiffany Fox for bringing us a spectacular dinner last night. We partook of rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed sweet corn on the cob, soft rolls with creamy butter; and to polish it off, yummy cupcake ice cream!

No comments: